Thursday, May 6, 2010

Qualifiers in St. Johns

Today is the first time we competed against St. Johns.  They had a girl that gave us some competition in the Long Jump.  But the best part was watching and listening to Cortlee and her experience with the girl.  A great moment for a mom...I'm proud of Cortlee and her athletic ability, but even more, I'm proud of the person she is becoming.

It took her awhile to get her steps and Rich and I were starting to get worried.  In the end it didn't even matter...someone forgot to tell the judge to WATCH THE BOARD!  I was dying!  Not one scratch, from anyone, the entire day...isn't that amazing!  }:-\

Cortlee ended up 3rd which was amazing considering the competition.

They took 1st in the relay with 55.59 seconds.  This time it was Richie that was dying.  I couldn't see it, but I guess the 2nd leg almost ran over Cortlee at the hand off.  Richie asked her why she didn't go and she said she tried but the wind knocked her backwards.  It was funny to me (probably cuz they won).  Her and the last girl had to fight the wind to the finish line.

She got 1st in the 100m, 
but the most excitement of the day was at the line of the 200m.  She had decided since she tires out a little the last 25 meters or so, so she was going to "lay" back at the start and then kick it in the last part of the race. However, when she saw all the other girls passing her she decided after about 15-20 meters that wasn't such a good strategy and ran her heart out the whole race. Good thing she did.........
1st in the 200m.

The competition was fierce, Show Low, St. Johns, Round Valley, Joseph City.
Next Wednesday is Payson Championship...gunna be a fun day!

No comments: